Feng Shui Tips for 2014 - Year of the Wood Horse
Welcome to 2014. We are currently in the Chinese Solar Year 4711, which is a Wood Horse year. It starts on February 4, 2014 at 6.27am. Analysis shows that this Horse year will bring forth lots of success with good planning, foresight and vision. It is recommended that you are well prepared with your Feng Shui remedies.
Feng Shui energies change from year to year. It is therefore necessary to watch for the re-allocation of positive and negative energies at the beginning of each year, so that we can take necessary precautions when the negative energy happens to arrive at important locations of our home and/or office or affects our Four Pillars (Chinese Astrology). We use Flying Star Feng Shui to determine negative and auspicious areas in the home for any specific year.
Flying Star Feng Shui is one of disciplines in Chinese Astrology which incorporates the principles of the 5 elements, the 8 trigrams, the Lo Shu numbers, and the 24 Mountains to analyze the ups and downs of energy in an environment at a particular time. Due to its incorporation of the time factor, it is one of the most effective and widely used Feng Shui practices which brings and speedy and accurate results. The principle of Flying Star Feng Shui is that each number (stars) in the 9 grid Lo Shu square is endowed with specific qualities whereby it brings good or bad luck. The auspicious stars bring wealth and well-being, so areas with these stars should be used for main areas such as living rooms or bedrooms, whilst the inauspicious areas should be avoided or used for storage or remedied accordingly.
Auspicious (Good) Stars
- #1 Lucky Star (Water Element) – Helps attain victory over competition. Enhances career promotion and monetary growth.
- #4 Romance Star (Wood Element) – Good star which improves romantic opportunities and also study and literary fortune for writers and scholars.
- #6 Power Star (Metal Element) – Associated with good fortune and help from Heaven. Brings speculative luck as well as power and authority.
- #8 Wealth (Earth Element) – Signifies wealth, prosperity, success and happiness. Regarded as the most auspicious star of all the 9 numbers.
Affliction (Negative) Stars
- #2 Sickness Star (Earth Element) – The illness bringing star, has negative influences on health issues, bringing physical ailments and diseases.
- #3 Dispute Star (Wood Element) – A bad star which signifies lawsuits, hostility and quarrels. Brings misunderstandings amongst families, friends and colleagues, trouble with the authorities.
- # 5 Misfortune Star (Earth Element) – Also known as Wu Wang or Five Yellow star. It is considered the most malevolent and dangerous of the nine stars. Brings all kind of misfortunes, accidents, losses and death.
- #7 Violent Star (Metal Element) – This unlucky star brings loss, robbery and violence to the afflicted sector.
Each year, the annual Flying Stars change their positions around February 4th, known as “Lup Chun” in Chinese, meaning “beginning of spring”. Auspicious and affliction stars fly into new sectors reflecting changes in energy to each of the locations of a house or office. In 2014, the change takes place on February 4th at 6:27am.
In order to maintain good Feng Shui in your home and a smooth transition into the New Year, it is imperative to note of the locations of each star. Knowing the sitting positions of these stars allows you to appropriately install cures and remedies to afflicted areas and efficiently activate the good fortune areas by placing the correct enhancers and activators.
Study the diagram to the right to determine each of the flying star sectors in your home, according to the compass. From the diagram, you will be able to determine where to place each of the recommended remedies to make 2014 a good year for you and your family.
The following is an example of a small home and how the sectors are determined. Lines are drawn parallel to the home and the sectors are made. Note how the North direction is used in determining the specific sectors;
The Victory Star #1 flies into the SOUTH WEST in 2014 bringing excellent business and career opportunities. This lucky star promises triumph over your competitors and brings success luck. Those residing in this part of the house are set to enjoy auspicious luck. If you have an office, it is recommended that you relocate it into this sector. Career advancement is very likely this year if your work desk in the office is visited by the Water Star 1. Those whose office or business premises entrance are in the SOUTH WEST will enjoy all kind of triumphant moments as this White Star helps you to be victorious in any competitive situation. Feng Shui enhancers to activate the luck of #1 are Water Features, Victory Banners (e.g., Victory Dragon), Dragon Tortoises (e.g., Dragon Tortoise carrying child or Laughing Buddha on Dragon Tortoise) and images of Horses (e.g., Wild Horses Amulet or the Horse Pendant), preferably made with metal. Avoid wood as this element weakens the energy of this water star. Young men, especially middle sons of the family as well as those with the Rat horoscope sign are also set to enjoy a good spell of winning luck from this favorable star.
The Earth element Illness Star #2 flies to EAST sector of your house this year. As its energies are strengthened by the Earth element in this sector, high alert is advised for the Sheep and Monkey born and mothers/matriarch of the family. Precaution is also necessary for those whose bedrooms are situated here as this sickness chi could lead to ailments, especially in the abdominal areas. The best cure to subdue the illness energies brought by this hostile star is the Brass Calabash with Imprints of the Eight Immortals. The Six Coins And Magic Golden Fan Amulet is also useful to enhance the calabash cure. And if your main entrance is located here or facing the EAST, all family members in the house will be affected. The constant opening and closing of door is bound to activate the illness-bringing star, so try to use another entrance in another sector but if this not possible, you must suppress the excess Earth element with metal or wood. An advisable remedy in this case is the six rod metal wind chimes outside your front door. Protect your family member by making sure that everyone carries/wears a long life or health symbol such as the Gold Plated Turtle or the Paua Shell Tortoise. As Fire feeds and enhances the Earth energy of this star, bright lightings here is not advisable.
The #3 Argumentative Star which creates trouble with quarrels, misunderstandings, conflicts and litigation, flies to the SOUTH EAST of offices and homes in 2014. Made stronger and more destructive by the Wood element of this sector, this angry star brings a host of problems ranging from minor misunderstandings to law suits by everyone who is hit by it. The luck of the eldest son (as indicated by 8 Aspiration Charts) is seriously afflicted this year and there is indication of discord between father and sons, creating disharmony within the family. Rabbit born persons are afflicted by this inauspicious star. For business owners too, it is important to ensure the main entrance is not placed here. When the office main door is located in the SOUTH EAST, it could lead to severe conflicts, fights between workers, causing undesirable business obstruction. Exhaust the Wood based #3 Star with Fire energy – bright lights and anything in red (e.g., Red Jasper Gems, Red Garnet Gems or Auspicious Red Envelopes) are highly recommended here. Move away anything associated with Water and Wood energies in this area. Do not hang wind chimes in this area and make sure it is kept quite (no radio or TV). An excellent Feng Shui items to counter the #3 Star is the Laughing Buddha. It is recommended that Rabbit born, those with their bedrooms in the SOUTH EAST and all occupants of houses with main door facing this direction to carry protection amulets for controlling this Quarrelsome Star.
The lovely #4 Star of Scholastic accomplishments and literary excellence visits the CENTER sector. Also known as the Romantic Peach Blossom Star, this means that love and academics will flourish in the CENTER of every home in 2014. Those with Dragon or Snake horoscope sign and elder daughter in the family are particularly favored by the Romance Star. So for those still single, get ready to meet the love of your life and be prepared for more passion in your love life if you are married. Strengthen the favorable wood energy with a water feature. However, it is important not to have big water fountain here since wood dies if there is too much water, leading to infidelity in a marriage. The Love Angel, Mandarin Ducks and Double Happiness Symbols are excellent energizers for attracting love luck, as is the Seal of Venus. To enhance and/or protect luck in your love life, also add rose quartz items to this sector (e.g., Rose Quartz Pi Yao Protector). As the #4 Star also signifies good education and academic success, students and those employed in writing career will benefit from sitting in the CENTER. Relocate your kid’s study desk to this corner if possible or at least face this direction in order to tap into its good energy. Enhancing this part of the house will greatly benefit students sitting for examinations. Display Chi Lin, or Wen Chang Pagoda here to manifest scholarly luck.
The #5 Misfortune Star is the most dangerous and vicious of the nine numbers in Flying Star system, especially in this Earth Period 8. Generally known as Five Yellow or Wu Wang, it is a very unfavorable star which causes all kinds of misfortune i.e. sickness, losses, tragedies, accidents, calamities and obstacles to success. Being in the NORTH WEST sector in 2014 means that its Earth energy is further strengthened and that it will affect the whole household or work place. Everyone should be wary of the obstructions and difficulties brought on by this malicious yellow star. Hence, it is vital to subdue its evil influences before its destructive force spreads and wreak havoc everywhere. The influences of this vicious star should never be underestimated. Remove anything associated with Fire energy, moving objects e.g., fan, television from this area. No gatherings or noisy activities here. Knocking, digging or any renovation works are a big no-no. Exhaust the malevolent Earth energy of the Wu Wang with metal energy based on the 5 element weakening cycle. Placing metal bells or ringing a space clearing bell morning and night will greatly help minimize the challenging negative located in this sector of your home. Established cures for the nasty #5 are the Five Element Pagoda, 6 Rod Metal Wind Chime and Brass I Ching Coins. Remember to make every family member carry protective amulets for added protection. Prevention is better than cure.
In 2014, the Heavenly #6 Star flies into the WEST, hugely benefitting the Patriarch of the family and those born in the year of the Dog and Boar. The number 6 is a favorable star associated with Metal element and cosmic energies of heaven. It is popularly known as an indirect wealth star as it brings unexpected fortune and windfall luck. The most important thing to do is ensure the #6 auspicious chi is greatly activated and strengthened and the best way to do it is to get the energy moving. Constant movements will transform the energy to powerful yang chi which is perfect for the father figure of the family. A metallic Wind Chime is thus highly recommended here. Other ways to tap the power from this celestial star is to invite divine cosmic deities such as Dzambhala Wealth God, Green Tara (preferably made of metal or earth materials) to the WEST of your house. The #6 also stands for mentor and authority luck, influences and has control over money. Enhance its goodwill energy with a Gold Coins Ruler, Six Coins with Bell, Six Gold Coins Talisman Hanging or Six Metal Coins to enjoy the help of powerful mentors, career enhancement and harmony in the family.
The Violent #7 Star, another unwelcome affliction of the nine flying stars, flies to the NORTH EAST in 2014. This vicious star is bad news in this Period 8 and brings danger of robbery, fighting and injuries to the NORTH EAST sector of homes and other buildings. Its presence creates hostility and dangers for those residing in this part of the home, office; and countries. Being a red star located in a Metal element sector signified bloodshed caused by metal objects - knives, swords, and guns, so do be very careful. It is therefore crucial to protect yourself and your loved ones from this affliction because the deadly energy of this star becomes more dangerous and strong in its home location as per original Lo Shu square. Be extra careful if your home is NORTH EAST facing or sitting, or important areas of your home such as bedrooms or living room are situated in the NORTH EAST. An excellent way to overcome the #7 star is to use Water, which weakens its Metal energy. Nazar Boncuk and the Seven Glass Elephants is the most effective cure for this affliction and thus when hung in this sector, results in a powerful antidote to the #7. Chung Kwei is another useful amulet which will enhance protection from thieves. You may also want to hang an Anti- Burglary Plaque in the NORTH EAST of your home to keep away robbers and people with bad intentions. If you are always in high risk places, carry a Blue Rhino and Elephant Amulet for added protection against harm.
The # 8 Earth Star is the luckiest star in this Feng Shui Period 8. It is associated with abundance of wealth, prosperity, good fortune and success luck. In 2014, this all powerful auspicious star returns to its original location, the SOUTH, bringing great fortune and wealth luck to everyone who resides here. This sector is extremely fortunate as it enjoys fantastic money luck and financial success, and is particularly beneficial to people born in the year of Ox or Tiger, younger men and those with house or office main entrance located here. Activate this area with bright lights in red or warm white color to signify strong Fire energies to strengthen the Earth Star #8. Those with main doors in the SOUTH can increase the impact of the 8 by hanging the 8 Rod Wind Chime to bring wish fulfilling luck and abundance. Other ways to energize the SOUTH is by displaying some good fortune symbol of Feng Shui like Wealth Deities, Wealth Dragon, Arowana Fish and Wealth Laden Ships. Try to spend more time here and Boost the Chi by increasing activities such as family gatherings or parties in this sector of the house.
As the Future Prosperity Star, the #9 is generally considered second only to the #8 in terms of attracting good fortune and prosperity. In 2014, it flies to the fiery NORTH, resulting in this Fire star burning strong and bright. The #9 Purple Star is also a magnifying number which expands both good and bad luck. It increases nasty effects when combined with the unlucky star 2, 3 or 5, so do update yourself on when the unlucky combination occurs and stay protected with cures and remedies. The Horse born and those whose bedrooms or main doors are located in the South will see lucks improved and will enjoy all the benefits brought by #9 Star. Keep the NORTH well lit and hold activities here as the Power of 9 is magnified when there is light and movement. Activate this area with red décor, and remedy it by hanging the Nine Emperors Coins With Mystic Knot Tassel to ensure a continuity of prosperity luck.
Other Recommended Feng Shui Tips
The Grand Duke this year is in the South whilst the Three Killings is located in the NORTH, hence it is not favorable to "move earth" in the garden or make substantial construction work in these sectors. It is also not recommended for one to sit with their back against the North as you will be sitting against the "unfavorable energy". If this is unavoidable place a Dragon Tortoise facing East on your desk as it is said to appease the Grand Duke. The Tai Sui Horoscope Protective Coin can also be used for this purpose. It is recommended that you place a feng shui I Ching Coin into a red envelope, and then place it in the central sector of your home. Also place the three legged toad facing towards the inside of the house. Place a Wealth Magnifier in the South East sector of your home. Place a set of 3 I-Ching Coins with the yang side facing up under your front door mat to bring wealth into the home.
To make your Feng Shui work best, make sure that you apply space clearing to the environment that you are remedying. We have made this achievable by recently introducing a space clearing bell.
Other Important Feng Shui Hints and Tips
House and Garden
- Remove all rubbish, clutter and bad smells from each room in the house and garden as this leads to blockages.
- Throw out unwanted goods, as this suggests you are holding on to the past.
- Fix flaking paint as this suggests tiredness.
- Fix damaged, spouting roof tiles or window seals if they or any part of the house looks rundown as this represents a gradual decline in health.
- Repair leaky taps as this suggests gradual loss of income.
- Healthy plants, fresh flowers, nice smells (aromatherapy) and good music attract good energy and lift your spirits.
- Keep the garden beautiful to entice opportunities to come into one's life. Also keep it free from clutter as this signifies worry and prevents one from being focused.
- Maintain a good supply of fresh air by opening windows and allowing the air to circulate.
- Avoid sleeping near electrical equipment as the electrical fields they emit are potentially harmful to your health.
- The energy coming through the door is the single most important factor that will determine how prosperous the occupants will be
- The location of the door with regards to the sectors of the home, indicate a priority to the occupants, therefore a person who has their front door located in the North sector, suggests that their career is very important to them
- Make sure there is nothing in direct alignment with the door such as a tree or telegraph pole. To remedy this place a Bagua mirror over the door so it is reflecting the Sha Qi
- The path to the front door should be wide & spacious & well lit. Curved windy paths leading to the main entrance are auspicious
- A beautiful picture placed on the wall opposite the main door is used to encourage energy into the home & therefore opportunities to come into your life
- Your main door should always open inwards into a wide space to invite the Qi & therefore opportunities into ones life
- Place two wide leaved plants next to the main door to help entice the energy in such as peace lilies
- Avoid facing a dark, pokey room, an interior staircase, mirror, stove, sink, fireplace, the door of a toilet, laundry, bathroom or bedroom. To remedy this keep the doors closed or place a screen between the doors
- The bed head should be against a solid wall. This will provide you with a sense of support & security when sleeping
- You should be able to see the whole room while lying in bed
- Avoid placing the foot of the bed in direct alignment with the door as this is the coffin position
- If the bedroom or bathroom door can be seen from the front door it can turn the energy yin. This may make the occupants lack motivation and feel fatigued and lazy.
- Your bed should not be located under an exposed beam
- Avoid mirrors as they are harmful to relationships especially if they are directly opposite the bed. Remove them or cover them over while sleeping
- Avoid clutter as Qi should flow easily through the room. It is particularly important that you do not store anything under the bed
- Bedrooms in the East are said to be auspicious as they catch the rising sun. This entices the occupants to get up & make something of their lives
- Red candles in the South west (relationship) sector of the room are a romantic feature which will encourage intimacy amongst a couple. (never leave them unattended)
- It is essential that you have a solid wall behind you as it will provide more backing for your ideas & lends authority to your presence
- You should be able to see who is coming through the door. This gives you a sense of being in control of your work
- You should also see the whole room from your desk. This will ensure you have mastery over all you do, you will think more clearly, your judgement will be sound & you will be respected
- Clear clutter, a cluttered desk reflects a cluttered mind
- Plants, flowers & wind chimes are great in a study or office as they provide yang Qi to the whole room. This encourages you to be productive, maintain good concentration & obtain good ideas
- You should position your desk so that you can easily see out the window whilst accessing natural light
Good ventilation is important, open windows are great
- You should face one of your good directions when studying or working